Superfoods for Super Kids (Part 1)
Superfoods for Super Kids (Part 1)
Did you know there are probably two powerful superfoods in your fridge right now? Can you guess what they are? Milk and yogurt! Packed with protein, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, potassium, and more, milk and yogurt help you build strong bones, powerful muscles, and a solid immune system. They’re powerful foods to enjoy every day. Made from cow’s milk, milk and yogurt are both considered dairy products and they are delicious.
The Power of Milk & Yogurt
You may have heard the word “Superfood” before, but do you know what it means?
Superfoods are foods that have a ton of powerful nutrients that help people stay extra strong and healthy.
And guess what, Milk and Yogurt are Superfoods.
Dairy is a Superfood because:
- It contains all 3 macronutrients: Carbs, Proteins, and Fats, for a perfect balance.
- It’s one of the best ways to build our bones and keep them strong.
- It helps us have healthy blood pressure, making it easier for the heart to pump blood throughout the body.
Did you know there are amazing nutrients found in milk and yogurt? It’s incredible!
Check out this massive list of goodies found in milk and yogurt which support our body’s health:
- Protein: Builds muscles and provides strength and power. It’s also good for our bones and energy.
- Calcium: Builds strong bones.
- Vitamin D: Helps the body absorb calcium to promote building bones. It also helps keep our immune system strong. A healthy immune system can help prevent us from getting sick.
- Vitamin A: Promotes good vision and healthy, glowing skin. It also supports the heart and lungs.
- Vitamin B12: Makes red blood cells to keep our blood healthy.
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): Supports growth and produces energy.
- Choline: Improves memory and helps us think better.
- Potassium: Helps maintain blood pressure.
- Magnesium: Regulates muscle function.
- Phosphorous: Strengthens bones and repairs tissues and cells.
- Probiotics: Good-for-you bacteria that keep our guts healthy and strong. Our gut also supports our immune system.
*Another great thing about dairy items, like milk and yogurt, is they’re considered Whole Foods.
Why is that important? Let’s take a look…
The Importance of Whole Foods
Whole Foods are foods that nature gives us (just like cows that produce milk). These foods have minimal processing and include very few “extra” added things. Milk, yogurt, cheese, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and grains are all considered Whole Foods.
Benefits of Eating Whole Foods
Whole Foods are Superfoods. Eating Whole Foods provide us with amazing benefits that are fantastic for our health. Here’s why:
- Whole foods contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that work together to enhance our health. Remember all those nutrients found in milk and yogurt listed above? They each play a role in keeping our bodies healthy and strong.
- Whole foods are easily absorbed by the body so our bodies can use more of the nutrients at a faster rate.
- The different vitamins, minerals, and nutrients help one another out so that they get absorbed faster and more efficiently. Like the lactose in milk helps the body absorb calcium better. How cool is that?
- Because whole foods have so many nutrients, they keep us full longer and provide a lot of satisfaction.
- Whole foods can help our gut stay strong and healthy which is important because 70% of our immune system comes from our gut.
Continue with Part Two!